Wednesday, July 9, 2008
Don't Forget the Popcorn!
Today, I was very brave: I took Caleb and Hannah to a movie theater all by myself to see a morning showing of "Horton Hears a Who". I was almost ready to back out this morning due to my wonderful tendency to procrastinate, but after telling Caleb about the prospect of popcorn, I was forced to keep my word. We got to the theater late because I first went to the wrong one. The whole way to the second theater, Caleb was complaining that we'd be late and also saying that he wanted popcorn "RIGHT NOW!" First off, why does a child who can't tell time care if we are late? Secondly, I had to ask him "Do I have any popcorn?" He agreed that I did not. "Where is the popcorn?" He knew it was at the theater. Was there any possible way he was going to get popcorn "RIGHT NOW"?? At least he knew that the correct answer was "no". Anyways, we did get to the theater a few minutes late and the sad part is that the popcorn line was HUGE!! So huge, in fact, that there was no way I could contain both children in that line long enough to actually get any popcorn, so we skipped the popcorn line and went straight to the theater. Big mistake! For literally an hour, the poor kid would look at the other kids around him with their gorgeous, delectable bags of precious popcorn and complain to his awful and bad mother that he NEEDED some popcorn and the chocolate chip granola bar from the diaper bag was not good enough. He said "please" about 10 times--even got as far as skirting a tantrum--but nope, no popcorn was had. (I forgot to mention that this was going to be a sad story....) We did, however, make it through the entire movie with Hannah squealing and talking for most of it and me trying to "shush" both her and Caleb. Luckily, Hannah was sleeping by the end and Caleb was very ready for an early nap. Who knew that movie theaters could be so exhausting?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Wow! I assumed that you were going with a group of moms or something! It's amazing you got through it! Maybe you can make Caleb some popcorn for dinner!
I raised 4+ kids and didn't shy away from taking them too many places that I wanted to go...but, I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to take even 2 of them to a full-length feature at a public theatre! I am so impressed! And, to think you made it through to the end...AMAZING! KUDOS to you!!!
Uh, yeah...I only fairly recently started venturing to the theater on my own with the boys...like maybe the last 3-4 months, so kids 5 1/2 and 2 1/2. Hats off to you....or uh, hushed giggles at the crazy mommy!!! LOL Just kidding.
Well done!! The first movie is always the hardest, then you learn what tricks work best for your kid.
No popcorn...so sad.
Post a Comment