Today just so happened to be one of those "stay home" days. Nice, cozy and relaxing. Chris was at work and the kids were home with me. I had no plans to change out of my sweatpants and no intention of leaving the house. In the afternoon, while I was snacking on some left-over Christmas treats, my darling four-year old made a fantastic observation. He walked up to me and said, "Mommy, your tummy is chubby." GREAT! That one little comment changed our plans for the rest of the day. Not only did I put the treats where I would not be tempted to snack on them anymore, I also called Chris and we both agreed that we should bite the bullet and....(dah-dah-dah)....go to the gym. So, that's what we did. We bundled the kids up and headed for the gym for a quick workout. However, the four-year old I was previously mentioning was having an issue with going to the kids' area. He just didn't want to go and play there---he wanted to go to the machines-area with us where he is not allowed to be. We finally got him to agree to our plans by announcing that after our much needed workout, the whole family would be heading to Dairy Queen. So, workout done. Dairy Queen (dinner AND ice cream, but only for the kids) done. A quick trip the grocery store, done, too. This was shaping up to be a very nice and productive evening. Just as Chris and I were commenting about this, a little voice was heard in the backseat saying, "Ear, hurt. My ear, hurt", along with a little whimper. Humph. I promptly turned the car around and headed for the pediatricians' office, which happens to have a fantastic urgent care on location. After a quick trip inside, Hannah's doctor said, "Unfortunately, her ears are as red as her hair is." Double ear-infection. GREAT (again)! Prescription in hand, Hannah and I got back into the car and headed for our local pharmacy. By this point, it was both kids' bedtime and you could tell they were losing patience with our trip around town. I promised just one more stop to get Hannah's medicine and then home-again we would go.
This next part requires a whole new paragraph. *sigh* I walk into Walgreen's to fill the prescription and a slightly rude guy at the pharmacy is the one to help me. He tells me that it's going to be 30 minutes before I can pick up the prescription. Seriously? Well, okay...I'm not going to complain if this is how it has to be. So, I head out with my Children's Tylenol in hand (paid for, of course) and go back to the car to tell Chris the annoying news. We think, "Okay, the kids can handle 30 minutes. We'll put on a DVD for them and just putz around for a bit at the video store." We do that and only 10 minutes go by. I even make a stop at the post office, but 30 minutes still hasn't passed. We ended up sitting in the Walgreen's parking lot watching each minute tick by on the clock in our vehicle. Finally, after what seemed like hours, we decide to go through the pharmacy drive-thru. The girl working there is very nice but we can't control our frustration when she announces that they are OUT OF STOCK of the amoxicillian that Hannah needs, but can they call a pharmacy in a neighboring town or give us our prescription tomorrow? WHAT?! I think to myself, "What's worse? Having Hannah sit this out for a night without her medicine or drive 15 miles to the next closest Walgreen's so Hannah can be comfortable tonight?" I opt for the latter and ask the girl to start calling other pharmacies. After a couple minutes, she comes back and says that they don't have the exact kind of medicine that Hannah needs, but something very similar, so they can give us that instead and just reduce the dosage. "Fine," we say. "Whatever you can do."
We sit for another few minutes (at this point, I swear I can see steam coming out of Chris' ears....hehe) when the girl comes back to the window and says that they actually DO have the medicine that Hannah needs. It's just that sometimes their computer tells them that they are out of stock of things when they actually aren't. WHAT THE HECK???? So, we ended up getting the medicine that we needed. However, when I was giving it to Hannah tonight, she drank a bit of it, then refused to drink more, saying that it was "yucky". She even laid flat on her face on the kitchen floor so I couldn't get the syringe to her mouth and squirt the rest in. I said, "Mommy drink it?" Hannah said, "Yes." Okay, fine, I'll try it. I squirted just a bit into my mouth and almost GAGGED!! This medicine is supposed to taste good! It always has in the past for myself and my kids. The medicine I was force-feeding my two-year old was SUPER chalky and absolutely disgusting. I don't quite know what to think but I'm for sure calling our pediatrician bright and early tomorrow to make sure that I was given the correct dosage for my poor sick little girl.
Why is the world crazy sometimes?? Ugh....I needed to vent. Thanks. :)
Monday, December 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am bored. Please update your blog. Thank you.
Post a Comment