Saturday, February 13, 2010

Hannah's Dinner

At dinner tonight, Hannah surprised both Chris and I by eating almost all of her food, asking for "seconds", and eating almost all of the "seconds". (Nice to see, since her brother was at the other end of the table eating like a bird.) Anyhoo, Hannah's favorite food group is the "condiments group"---if you can even count that as a "food group" at all. As Chris says, Hannah loves to accessorize her food. Sometimes, she just ends up eating the condiment by itself and leaving the food on her plate. Because of this love of hers, we've seen her eat blue cheese dressing, ketchup and salsa by the spoonful.

Tonight, she pointed to a jar of mayonnaise on the table and said that she wanted some. Chris put a dollop on her plate, and she took a little spoonful of it. She made a disgusted face so Chris chuckled and said, "It doesn't taste very good by itself, does it?" Hannah shook her head....then ate a bigger spoonful of the mayo!! (Blech!!)

After a little while, Chris and I were both done eating, so I got up to put the left-overs in the fridge. Caleb finished his food, so both Chris and Caleb got up from the table, leaving Hannah there to eat her second helping of food. I asked her if she was finished and she was very adamant that she was "still eating". Knowing that she would tell me when she was finished, I continued to clean the kitchen and stopped paying attention to her. At some point, she must have realized that no one was watching her, and decided to take advantage of the situation. When I next glance over at my adorable little two-year old, she had her foot up on the table. I was appalled to see that she was dipping her toes into the mashed potatoes on her plate and then sticking her foot in her mouth. She did this twice before I could get over my speechlessness and tell her to stop!! Ah, the mind of a toddler....

1 comment:

Carrie said...

She will be like Cousin Carrie - Queen of the Dips and Sauces!!! (I agree, Hannah - Food must be accessorized!!) :)