Friday, July 19, 2013

Great Timing

I recently made a book out of the first six months of this blog so we could look back on it when we wanted to.  Caleb especially loves it because most of the stories are about him.  It's a great keepsake so I've decided to *attempt* to post more often about the other kids so they can read about themselves as well.  Wish me luck.  :)

Kids have impeccable timing.  I don't mean that their timing is really great.  It's more that they pick the most random time to come up with things or to say things out loud.  (One example: when Caleb announced to the entire grocery store that he thought he might have three nipples....)  We had another incident like this a few days ago as we were walking into the post office.  Now, mind you, it takes a mere thirty seconds to get everyone out of the van and into the building, so I've never really thought about how something very embarrassing could happen during those seconds.  On this day, Hannah proved me wrong.  As we were walking toward the entrance, Hannah was casually talking with her little brother. 

Hannah: "Connor, do you have a pee-pee?"  ("Pee-pee" being the public-appropriate word for the male anatomy, just because I don't want the actual word shouted out in the middle of someplace like Target or the State Fair.)

Connor: "Yes."

Hannah: "Do you know what your pee-pee is really called?"

Me: "No, Hannah....no, Hannah....not now, Hannah...."  (Sensing a train-wreck...)

Hannah: "It's called a 'penis'.  Can you say 'penis'??"

Connor (shouting for the entire parking lot to hear): "PENIS!! PENIS, PENIS, PENIS!! PEEEEENIIIIIS!!!"

The post office was quite busy on this day and there were people bustling in and out the door constantly.  The ones that heard the outburst from my two-year old either smiled politely or tried to hide a giggle, which I really couldn't blame them.  If it was anyone but me in that moment, it would have been hilarious.  I love that Hannah is teaching her brother so many new things but maybe she could starting teaching him these things while we're home.


No comments: