Friday, January 9, 2009

First Swimming Lessons

Last night, Caleb attended his first ever swimming lesson. (My mom had told me to get pictures, but since Chris was going to be in the pool with him, Chris said "No Pictures!") :) Anyhow, the lessons are at our local YMCA, which is such a great facility. I put Hannah in the childcare so I could watch the lesson peacefully. It was so fun to see! Caleb was very comfortable with the pool since he swims in that pool every Tuesday with his preschool class. I had enrolled him in the very first class and the only other person in that class was an almost two-year old boy. I thought it would be discouraging for Caleb to see some of his preschool friends in more advanced classes (in the same pool) but he was too busy have the time of his life to notice. He got to sing songs, splash and swim on his own with a "swim noodle" tied around him. He also jumped into the pool several times, including one time that he didn't even mean to! He was throwing a ball and ended up throwing it was such force that he fell into the water! He went completely under but when he came up, he wasn't sputtering. His teacher told Chris that that was actually a good thing because that means he held his breath when he fell in. Good job, Caleb!
This class goes for 6 weeks and then we will put him in the next level up which is a non-parent class. (We'll have fun watching him, however.) I think this has sparked an interest in our whole family---all four of us just can't wait until we can get in the pool again and play. (Once I get Hannah in the pool then I really WILL take some pictures!!!) :)

No comments: