As I was growing up, my grandma always told me "Never cry over spilt milk." She was saying it to reassure us when we would spill milk (or anything else) at her house and felt bad about it, but that phrase has stuck in my head for the rest of my life. I think about it all the time and pertain it to more than just milk.
For example:
Never cry over a spilt tray of Hannah's supper (that she threw on the floor herself).
Never cry over all the toys being poured out of their containers into a huge pile in the playroom.
Never cry when you come home from being out with friends and see that your kitchen has bascially exploded while you were away.
Never cry when your son dumps a whole brand new box of cereal all over the kitchen floor and crunches it under his feet. (Jack really enjoyed cleaning up that mess!)
So, as you can see, I think of this "rule of thumb" all the time. I am also grateful that it was told to me because I'm sure I would have shed MANY tears during these incidences. I can't say I wasn't on the verge of tears last week when Hannah pulled Caleb's dinner and full cup of milk onto my freshly washed floor, but I handled things much better last night when she dumped over his full cup of juice---onto the floor AND herself...
There's still not a lot going on in our house. Yesterday was very low-key, with Caleb going to preschool, Hannah and I running errands and then spending the evening at home. Yesterday, Caleb did start doing something kind of funny: he talks for Hannah. Not just says "She wants this" or "She thinks that" but he actually talks in a small voice and then says "Mom! Hannah just said 'please'!" Hannah doesn't seem to mind that her brother is giving her a voice and it entertains Caleb so I guess there's no harm in going along with the charade until Hannah can speak up for herself. :)
Tonight we're meeting my friend, Marisa, and her 20-month old daughter at the Mall of America. We really wanted to get the kids together so we're going to hit all the hot spots at the mall and then have a late dinner. Hopefully, I'll be able to take some adorable pictures to post. Send "good picture karma" to me, if you can! :)
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment