Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Santa Barbara: Day 3

Day 3: Wine Country

On Sunday, we decided to do a little bit of wine tasting. Christy knows the wife of a winery owner, so we headed up to Los Olivos (about an hour north of Santa Barbara) to check out his wine.


We ended up meeting a very knowledgeable and fun gal who taught us all about wine (yes, there were a lot of things I didn't know before our trip!) and we tasted about a dozen delicious samples. I normally don't drink red wine or port wine but fell in love with all but one of them that I tasted. I ended up ordering a case and joining their wine club, so if anyone wants to try some great wine, come to our house! :)

We even got a complimentary wine glass to take home with us...


Here we are in the "wine library" enjoying some Oak-free Chardonnay (my favorite of the bunch!):


After Los Olivos, we headed over to Solvang which is a cute little Dutch community that boasts some great wineries as well. This is a very touristy town and the architecture is really neat! This is also where most of the movie "Sideways" was filmed.



Something interesting to note is the difference in climate near the ocean versus the "other side" of the mountain, where the vineyards are. It was around 70 degrees and very breezy in Santa Barbara but once we got over the mountain, the air was over 90 degrees and completely still. We drove with the windows open and NO BREEZE was coming in the car from our movement. Needless to say, we had to take a little ice cream break in Solvang for fear we would all melt. Thank goodness for sunscreen on this day because I'm sure we'd all be burnt to a crisp without it since we walked for HOURS in both of these adorable little towns.

Also something interesting is that we drove through a lot of fire damage from the latest fires that occurred in California.


I'm glad that is over so we didn't have to be there for the actual devastation. It's also not hard to see how the fire spread with all the heat in the air and no rain!!

No comments: