Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Action-Packed!


Today, our family celebrated Caleb's birthday. Chris and I decided to let it be a day where Caleb got to do everything that he thought was fun. We started last night, by blowing up balloons with helium and putting them on Caleb's bedroom ceiling. We also blew-up some balloons without helium and had those all over the main level of the house. Caleb loved it when he woke up so we might make that an annual tradition.

In the middle of the morning, some of our friends came over for playgroup. We had cupcakes for Caleb's birthday and another dad's birthday (who was there). Caleb and his friends also spent a majority of the time popping all of the balloons that Chris and I had blown up, but that's okay. It was worth it to see their faces every time one of the balloons popped!

The kids and I headed over the the Mall of America to meet Chris for lunch. Caleb wanted to eat at the Rainforest Cafe, which we hadn't been to in a long time due to Hannah being scared of the robotic animals. We were hoping she wouldn't be scared this time but she was. We made it through the entire meal, however, with singing, clapping and ice cream for dessert. Hannah was nervous but didn't cry once. She sat on Daddy's lap for the whole meal and when the rain storm would begin OR when the monkeys would start to talk, she would curl into Daddy and close her eyes. I was very impressed with her!

After lunch, we brought Caleb to Lego Land so he could pick out his gift from our family. It was a bit overwhelming for him, so Chris and I helped him pick out some age appropriate Lego sets. He loves them so much that I probably won't be seeing much of him when we're home---he'll be spending all of his time holed-up in his bedroom with his Legos!

Caleb asked if we could "ride rides" at the amusement park after Lego Land. By this point, Hannah was definitely ready for her nap, but since she wasn't crabby, we decided to go for it. Caleb went on the Log Chute with Daddy for the first time ever (the picture is PRICELESS so I'm going to try to get our scanner working so I can show you) and then he went on the roller coaster (for the first time ever) with me. What a big kid! When we asked him what he wanted to go on next, he said "I always wanted to go on a Ferris Wheel." Oh, yea....he had never done that EITHER! Geez....all the times we've been there and all the things we've never tried. Anyhoo, while the boys were on the Ferris Wheel, Hannah and I thought it would be only fair for us to buy more tickets and ride the carousel. So, we did. When the boys came back, they wanted to ride on the carousel, too, so we all went on it again. My first mistake was putting Hannah on a horse that goes up-and-down. I knew that she liked the stationary ones, but thought she might like the moving one this time. I was wrong. Half-way through the ride, she wanted off the horse, so Chris held her while he stood next to the horse. My second mistake was waving to the operator girl and telling her that we didn't need the ride to stop. Little did I know that you're not allowed to hold your child while standing on the carousel (something about safety...blah, blah, blah...j/k) so she stopped the ride just for us so Hannah and I could get off. Some people even got off the ride with us thinking it was over and the operator girl had to explain that they basically were getting a whole free second ride because of us. Sorry and you're welcome! (kidding!)

By this point, we were all tired. Chris went on his merry way while the kids and I headed home. Both kids fell asleep on the way, and slept for quite awhile when we got home. Caleb woke up just in time to open gifts that the UPS man delivered to our house and then wanted ALL of his new stuff taken out of the packages. Seriously...why do toy companies hate parents so? Most toys are packaged so well that you have to be in Mensa just to get the thing out of the box. Anyway, I opened what I could and didn't hear a peep from Caleb's room (where he was playing) for over an hour. Sweet, sweet silence! We ended up having to wake Hannah up from her nap and hurry the kids out to the truck in time for Caleb's preschool open house. (This was all after the quickest dinner in the world, might I add.) What a fabulous surprise it was to see that we knew all three of Caleb's teachers VERY well. In fact, two of his teachers are the same teachers from last year. It sure made him feel great when we walked through the door and everyone shouted "CALEB!!!" (This is the part of the story where you're supposed to hum the "Cheers" theme song....) We stayed for a bit but then left so Caleb's "wonderful day of fun" could continue. As I type this, Caleb and Daddy are fishing and will be home in about 30 minutes. Now, you might be checking to see what time I posted this and yes, Caleb's bedtime is technically in 20 minutes. What fun is your birthday if you can't do things a little out of the norm, you know??

What a great day and I know that Caleb had a blast. Thanks for all for the great birthday wishes. Caleb is certainly a lucky boy! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree about the toy packaging--good thing Chris is Mensa!

Andi said...

It sounds like Caleb had quite the day! I can't believe he's 4! Such a big boy!

Erin Lewis said...

You two are such great parents - what a wonderful birthday! I will have to keep this in mind for Robbie! Oh and I read the "wine" entry as well - I am so jealous! I was just thinking the other day that I would give just about anything to enjoy a long bath with enya, wine and a good book!