Sunday, October 4, 2009

10-Year Reunion

Last night, I attended my 10-year high school reunion. I have to admit, I was a little nervous about going and several friends of mine had been calling for weeks in advance with the whole "What are you wearing?" question. :) The reunion was held at a fun restaurant/bar in downtown Minneapolis so Chris and I decided to make a date of the night. We planned to arrive downtown early for dinner with friends, then stay at a hotel after the reunion. (Just to let you know, with the Gopher game earlier on Saturday and the Vikings/Packers game on Monday night, the hotels were practically booked-solid, so we were lucky to find a room at all!)

I got my hair trimmed earlier in the day, and the stylist was really excited about helping me style my hair for the reunion. Unfortunately, this is what I looked like when I left the salon:


Not exactly what I had in mind, so I ended up taking it down. That was the first "hitch" as I was getting ready. The second "hitch" happened when I answered the phone and realized that I was losing my voice. I felt perfectly fine but my voice was sounding raspier and raspier as time went on. We decided to keep our plans as scheduled since I was feeling fine but it turned out to be quite hilarious as I was trying to catch-up with old friends throughout the night. Lots of people were doing the "smile and nod" as I was talking because they couldn't understand a word that I was saying. I eventually decided to give up and let Chris talk for me, which worked just fine. :)

Oh, yes--where were the kiddos, you ask? We dropped them off at my parents' house before heading downtown. My mom took a really nice picture of us before we left but I WRECKED IT as I was trying to crop it on the computer. I was so mad, so I apologize that this is the only picture of Chris and I looking snazzy in our outfits. :)


(For those who were wondering, my dress goes down to just above my knees and I wore strappy black sandals with it.)

Caleb and Hannah had a great time at Grandma's. One highlight for Caleb was making pumpkin pie with Grandma. He even put sprinkles on the top of one of the pies, and I have to admit, it's pretty delicious.


He also took a morning nap, which is unheard of in Caleb's world. As it turns out, Uncle Ben was staying up all night with one of his friends so when Caleb woke up at 3am and wandered downstairs to where they were, he decided to stay up, too! Quite a surprise for us to find out that he only got 5 1/2 hours of sleep that night, (and it probably cramped Ben's style to have Caleb crashing his "party") but what can you do? 4-year olds really have minds of their own...

Okay, so where was I? The kids had a great time and so did we. We really made our rounds in Minneapolis and it was SO nice to have night on the town. A friend of ours met Chris and I at Capital Grill where we had drinks and appetizers. Then, another friend called to say that a bunch of folks were meeting across the street from the reunion location. So, we met them at Chambers, which is a really neat and modern bar. Finally, we all headed over to the reunion where there were more drinks and appetizers to be had. I surprised myself by telling the class president that I would "absolutely love" to help plan future reunions and that my husband would be "so happy" to make a website for them. WHAT?! No, I was not tipsy when I offered this---stone cold sober, in fact. I must have been caught up in the glitz and glamour of seeing old classmates so I'll need to keep that in mind when they call me to help plan the next reunion. (I'll need all the pointers and ideas I can get, so you all will have to dish about YOUR reunions!) As I said before, it was really great catching up with old friends and acquaintances and I don't know what I was nervous about in the first place. :)

1 comment:

Jon and Stefanie said...

Sounds like a fun weekend for everyone. I hope your voice is better :) You and Chris look great by the way!