Okay, so all of that is what prompted a "new phase" that we are entering: the "Big Girl Bed". Hannah is 27-months old, which is pretty old for some kids to be sleeping in a crib. We put Caleb in a "Big Boy Bed" right after his second birthday, mostly because we needed the crib for Hannah. So, why isn't Hannah in a big bed yet? Frankly, it's because we don't need the crib. There's no baby about to be born and Hannah seemed fine with her crib, so we just kept it at that. Plus, because she had never climbed out, it was all fine and dandy. Until her fall yesterday, that is. So, last night, before bed, Chris had the brilliant idea to take the front of Hannah's crib off. You may think this sounds weird, but that's actually something that her crib can do: turn into a toddler-sized day bed. We never needed to use it like that before and I am so thankful we got this kind of crib, now realizing that we don't have to rush out and get another bed for her. (Whew!) Anyhoo, long story long, as usual, this is what we ended up with:
She was a little freaked out when I left her room so she could sleep and cried out "Mommy Mommy!" until I explained that this bed is the same bed as her crib, just without the front. She seemed content with that and felt right asleep. The real test was when we heard another "thud" at 5am....which, of course, was Hannah falling OUT of bed and not realizing what was going on in her half-awake state. All turned out well, though, and I'm interested to see how the next few nights/naps go with her. I also want to mention that the reason why I titled this "And So It Begins" is because this will inevitably be the beginning of Hannah NOT taking afternoon naps (big sigh from me) and the oh-so-fantastic getting out of bed several times an evening. Wish us luck!!!
2 comments:
Katie, our crib has the same feature, but ours came with (an optional purchase of course) a side rail with a small opening. If you do not have this, then you can buy a plastic/netting attachement at any babies r us store. That way she can still get in and out of the crib but will not fall out if she is an active sleeper. Robbie wakes us 3 - 9 times a night, so I cringe to hear that other parents might be suffering the same fate - or laugh depending on the person, he he he! ;)
We have a similar crib, "5 in 1" crib... let's see... 1.Crib, 2. Toddler bed, 3.Day bed, 4.(I don't remember) and 5. which the front and back of the crib can be headboard/footboard for a full size bed.
So far, Sami's still in #1. I want her to stay there as long as possible! Mainly because she can't climb out or sneak out of the house. :-)
Post a Comment