Monday, March 8, 2010

Fun Weekend??

I was going to post a bunch of pictures today, but the computer I need to use is not letting me save or post anything, once again. *sigh* So, I'll get those up whenever I can since, Lord knows, it seems like when one thing is fixed, another thing stops working!!

Anyway, our weekend was very fun for some of us, but not so fun for the rest of us. For Chris and I, it was a toss-up! Saturday marked our 6-year wedding anniversary. My mom was set to baby-sit the kids overnight, and Chris and I had planned to stay home and watch movies. (Relaxing AND inexpensive!!) However, as it got closer to Saturday, Chris suggested that we go somewhere for dinner, since it was our "golden" anniversary. (I say "golden" because it's our 6th anniversary on the 6th of the month---not because we've been married for 50 years!!) Actually, at the same time, Chris informed me that the 6th anniversary is "wood, iron and candy", so my gift for him fit right into that category without me even knowing!! Anyway---I digress. Chris surprised me on the morning of our anniversary with my gift which was VERY thoughtful. He had gone to one of my favorite eclectic stores (The Afternoon) and gotten a really neat wood picture frame, an iron necklace holder (which is something I had asked for), a locket to go ON the necklace holder (hehe) and a big ol' basket of truffles. (NOT helping my diet, Chris, but thank you!) My gift for him was a new humidor that was personalized with his initials. (He doesn't smoke cigars often, but his previous humidor was cracked on the top.) In the afternoon, we got all dolled-up and dropped the kids off at my parents' house. Caleb was showing signs of a slight fever, but my mom ensured us that he would be fine and that she would call if he got worse. That said, we headed to downtown Minneapolis to see if any of our favorite restaurants had openings for dinner (since we didn't have a reservation). We ended up getting in at McCormick and Schmick, one of our favorite seafood places. It was very delicious and so worth the time and money. The waiter even thought it was our FIRST anniversary so we joked that we either looked like newlyweds or really uncomfortable to be sitting with each other!! ;)

We went home after dinner, changed into sweats and watched the movie "The Box". (Pretty slow moving flick, by the way. I do not recommend it.) We checked in with the kids and found out that Caleb's fever had risen, so my mom gave him some Motrin. He was fast asleep after that, so we, too, went to bed. At about 3:30am the phone woke us up. It was my mom, and you could hear a crying Caleb in the background. He had woken up not feeling well at all and wanted his mommy. Chris and I went into "parent-mode" at that moment, rushing around to let the dogs out and brush our teeth before throwing on shoes and heading down to my mom's house (a half-hour drive away). Of course, just as we thought, Caleb was a happy camper by the time we got down there and Hannah was still sleeping soundly, so we decided to crash at my mom's for a few hours instead of disrupting Hannah to get home right then. What a spontaneous evening with an impromptu dinner AND an early morning adventure! We ended the weekend by lounging around all of Sunday (at our house), watching movies with the kids, and resting up.

Today, Monday, I kept Caleb home from school for good measure. Although, I have to say, his fever is gone and you'd never know he was sick! That's kind of how he works: he'll be sick one day and fine the next. Even when we thought he had H1N1 last fall, he was SO sick...for ONE DAY. In that one day, we brought him to the doctor and everything. Then, the next day, he was 100% fine. Craziness! I always say this but it's true: kids are SO resilient!!

I know this post was probably kinda boring for some of you but others had been asking what we did for our anniversary, so that about sums it up! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

kids are funny that way. And remember, when you guys celebrate your ohh 30th anniversary -- no kids!!! Well, maybe............!

Ok, gotta go and change somebody's poopy diaper.