Friday, April 2, 2010

Easter Fun: Part 1

There are so many fun things to do around Easter, so we've really been trying to do them all this year.

First things first, we had to see the Easter Bunny!! This is a "must" for us every year and this is the first year that the kids were actually excited about it. It sounds funny---why would you bring your kids to see a character when they don't like it? They always SAY that they want to go, but when they see the person in the bunny costume, they usually get freaked out. For the first time ever, Caleb and Hannah were both SUPER excited to sit on the bunny's lap and they walked right up to him by themselves. (Whew!!)

Not a great picture, but I was grateful that they let me take pictures with my camera instead of having to buy 10 professional pictures, especially since my kids weren't exactly making the most perfect smiley-faces at the time!! ;)


Our next Easter activity to check off our list was egg-dying. I've never attempted this with my kids since they've always been so young, but they had such a great time!! Caleb was really good at dying the eggs, which totally surprised me. It also wasn't as messy as I expected it to be, which was awesome!! My friend came over with her two girls that morning so we could all decorate the eggs together, and it really turned out to be a great experience. (I might have to buy some extra egg-dye kits so we can do this other times of the year, too!)

Caleb was having so much fun...


As you know, Hannah is OBSESSED with the color pink. Our conversation while dying the eggs sounded like this:

Me: Hannah, what color do you want to dye your first egg?
H: Pink!
Me: Okay, there you go! Now, what color for your second egg?
H: Pink!
Me: Okay...one more pink one. What color for your next egg?
H: Pink!!

You get the idea. I was able to convince her to branch-out a bit on her color choices, but most of her eggs turned out either pink or purple.


Hannah also surprised me by taking her last un-dyed egg and cracking it on the table. Then she peeled it and ate it!! I was watching her in amazement because she ate the egg super fast. Of course, she's my little egg-eater and will eat eggs that are cooked almost any way, so I suppose I shouldn't have been too surprised...

A few of our eggs:


(Hard to tell here, but Caleb wrote his name on one of the eggs all by himself. I'm so proud!!)

Needless to say, we'll be eating quite a few hard-boiled eggs for the next few days... :)

So, I've mentioned the Easter Bunny and Easter eggs, but I have not yet mentioned the true meaning of Easter. This year is so fun because the kids are able to really listen to the Easter story about Jesus and Caleb, especially, seems to really understand it. In years past, we've talked about it, but our words seemed to go in one ear and out the other. Caleb started asking questions on his own, but Hannah happened to pick out a book called "The Story of Easter" from our local Christian book store the other day, and she really listens when we read it to her. She's also been walking around the house randomly saying, "He is risen! He is risen!" so I know she's been listening. :)

No comments: