Sunday, April 18, 2010

Heavy Lifting

***I am so frustrated! I just wrote this whole post and then Blogger messed it all up and didn't save it like it said it did. So, I'm rewriting it but cutting it short out of frustration. Sorry!!

Today is a big day in our household. I'll start off by telling you about Chris' summer project. He decided a couple weeks ago that this spring/summer, he is going to finish our basement. He, along with his dad and brothers, are going to pick away at it themselves (mostly) and together, they all have AMAZING talents. This project is exciting to us because we'll not only have more livable space in our home, but this also gives us a chance to clean an area that we haven't cleaned in six years!! Our basement has always been the "catch-all" of our house. The storage area for anything and everything. What do we have to do before we finish the basement? Clear it out, of course!! So, first, let me tell you that my husband is my hero! He rented a storage unit near our house and started making little trips there with stuff this past week. Finally today, he asked if I would go through the stuff down there (knowing that I would complain if he just started grabbing things). So I've been spending the morning loading up boxes and labeling them for a garage sale later this summer, adding stuff to our "Dump" pile, and telling Chris' which boxes to take and which to leave. While Chris has been doing all the heavy lifting (and doing a great job at it, might I add), I'm exhausted just going through stuff! How much stuff could we really have down there, you might say? Imagine this: garage sale items (three huge boxes full), part of a Mustang, bed frames and old coffee tables, about seven years worth of children's clothes (since I've saved all of the kids' clothes for future children) and all the baby stuff they've used!! Not to mention, all the regular seasonal stuff that everyone has in their basement. So, you can imagine how stuffed and packed that level of our home was. And how much time it might take to go through everything. Luckily, I have an obsession with totes (that my husband doesn't really understand---hehe) so most of the boxes were clear and easy to decipher. So, now, I can finally say that most of the stuff is moved and I am VERY motivated to have a garage sale in July. Yay for home projects and for opportunities to reorganize stuff! :)

No comments: