Saturday, April 10, 2010

Lil' Swimmers

On Thursday, the kids had swimming lessons, as usual. This session is almost over (there's only one week left) and so far, Chris and I are so proud of both kids' progress. Caleb has turned into a little fish in the past couple of weeks. He LOVES to go under water and is the bravest of all four boys in his swimming class. He's the only one that will jump into the 3 1/2 foot water without holding onto the teacher's hand. That said, we were given his progress report at this lesson and it turns out that Caleb's teacher encourages us to put him in the next level after this session of lessons is over, which unfortunately was not the case with some of the other boys in his class. I was pretty surprised because I see kids that are older than Caleb in the next level, but I think he can handle it.

For Hannah, last week was supposed to be the first week without parents in the water with the little kids. However, we had other plans that night and didn't make the lesson, so we weren't sure what to expect this week. Hannah's teacher (a red-headed girl named Ariel---haha) told us that she would love it if the parents were in the water this time, just because the kids didn't like being separated from their parents last week. So, Chris went into the water with Hannah, but as it turned out, he didn't really have to do anything at all. The teacher tied a swim-noodle (one of those long foam tubes) around Hannah, like they do every week, and then Hannah started swimming all on her own! I was gesturing to Chris from the side of the pool, wondering if he was holding onto her at all, and he said 'no'. Wow!! I guess we have two fish on our hands!! Unfortunately, there is not another level between where Hannah is and the three-year old class, so I think we'll either repeat this class next or else just wait for six months before putting her in another swimming class.

All of this swimming is getting me excited for the summer!! Beach, here we come!! :)

No comments: