Saturday, May 15, 2010

Sad Day...

The other day, we once again had a sad day regarding the well-being of our amphibian pets. You may recall that Caleb got the coolest Christmas gift ever from my aunt and her family:


He got two underwater African frogs (I think that's what they're called) and they were "supposed" to live for 5 years. Well, first, you know that we have really bad luck with water creatures. We know this because of all the fish we've had to flush in the past two years. However, these frogs are supposed to be hardy. You're only supposed to feed them twice a week and clean their little aquarium once a month. One ended up passing away about 4 days after Christmas, so we assumed that was because of the long trip it took for them to get to us. After five months of enjoyment, Fireball (which is what Caleb named the second frog) passed away on Thursday. I am baffled as to how this happened, but always assumed that he was very lonely without his "brother", so maybe he died of a broken heart??

Caleb was very sad and cried when he realized the frog was dead. Then, about 10 minutes later, he started asking for new pets. Fish? No way, we said. Snake? Not a chance! Hamster? Chris and I looked at each other with interest but told Caleb that he couldn't get a hamster until he can take care of it by himself, so maybe when he's five. (We just got a new dog, after all! I have my hands full with furry creatures right now!) So, again on Friday, Caleb asked if he could get a hamster. I told him that maybe he should ask Santa for a hamster at Christmas time. Caleb got a really disgusted look on his face and said, "No, Mom! I want a REAL hamster!"
"I know," I said. "Santa can bring you a real hamster."
A frustrated Caleb shouted, "But Santa can't MAKE real hamsters!!!"
Amused, I said, "No, honey, he'd get it from the pet store."
"Ugh!" Caleb shouted. "He doesn't go to the pet store. I've never seen him there!"
I was giggling and trying to hide it when Hannah joined the conversation by saying, "Are we gonna kill the hamster, too?"
*sigh*....

1 comment:

Erin Lewis said...

I am dying laughing from Hannah's comment about killing the hamster too - if you could only have captured that on video you would be the $100,000 winner on AFV!