Friday, May 14, 2010

The Words of a Two-Year Old

I think the language of a two-year old is priceless. Not only do they assume that they are saying every word correctly (even if you can't understand them), they also hear phrases and words and use them without even knowing what they mean!! For example, instead of saying "ahead", Hannah says "behead". So, we'll be driving along and she'll randomly say, "Look behead!!" It took a couple times for me to realize that she meant "ahead" and now I have to stop myself from joking around and saying "Look behead" when she's in the car, since she doesn't know what I mean.

The other night, I gave her a cup with some juice in it and she promptly asked for a "wah" (which, in Hannah-language, means "straw"). I said, "A wah?"
Hannah said, "No, a wah."
I said, "You want a wah?"
Hannah said, "NO!! I want a WAH!"
I was messing with her because it was so cute that she thought she was saying "straw" so clearly.

I also figured out where she got the "Don't freak out" statement from (mentioned in the previous post). Today, I was walking both kids, special candy treats in hand, back to the car from the party store. However, since I had my big ol' purse to carry AND two huge bags of purchases for an upcoming brunch to also carry, I asked the kids if they would hold hands with each other as we crossed the parking lot. It was a bit of a juggle, but all three of us safely got to the car without dropping anything (or getting run over, for that matter). I said to Caleb, "Sheesh! What are we going to do when we have THREE kids in this family?" Without missing a beat, Caleb said, "We're gonna freak out!!" Yes, yes, I probably will freak out, but at least I know he's semi-prepared for it.... :)

No comments: