Saturday, August 28, 2010

Sick Princess Hannah

Last night, as we were sitting around after dinner, I kissed Hannah's forehead and noticed that she was a little warm. I told Chris about it and basically, before our eyes, she became sicker and sicker. Low-grade fever, sore throat, achy---she definitely got a good dose of something! Anyhoo, today, she wanted to spend the majority of the afternoon sitting in our bed. I turned the TV on for her and brought her some juice so she was a happy camper. After about two hours of her refusing to come downstairs, I was able to convince her to take a nap. She slept there for a couple hours, then woke up with what I thought was a "night terror". She was crying so I laid with her in our bed for a little while, thinking she wasn't really awake. As she calmed down, I suggested she close her eyes, so she did. When I thought she was asleep, I got up from the bed and went back downstairs. No big deal, right? Typical story about a sick child, right? Well, I really got a surprise an hour later when I went up to check on Hannah. There she was, lying in my bed right where I left her, but she was wide awake. I started talking to her in a soothing voice but she promptly started scolding me! "I was talking to you but you weren't here!" she told me. I asked her if she had been awake for a long time and do you know what she told me? "You told me to close my eyes, so I did, and then you LEFT!" I couldn't help but laugh as she told me all about how she kept her eyes closed and I got up and walked away, thinking she was sleeping. The poor girl sat there for an hour waiting for me! I guess that will teach me to count on my assumptions! :)

No comments: