Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Functions of a Belly Button

***Please be advised that this story contains "potty talk".***

A couple months ago, Caleb ran into the bathroom to go potty while Hannah was already standing in there. I didn't think much of it until I walked by the bathroom a minute later and saw Caleb standing next to the toilet, doing his business, and Hannah standing on the other side of the toilet with her shirt pulled up, exposing her belly. When I asked what she was doing, she told me that Caleb was going potty from his belly button. After stifling a giggle, I tried to explain to her that you can't go potty out of your belly button and why she probably thought that's what Caleb was doing. I thought she understood, but found out the other day that she didn't quite get it....

The other day, Hannah had to go potty, so she ran into the bathroom. It's been pretty warm here lately so I had dressed her in some shorts that were a little tight that day. She was having some trouble pulling them down, so she finally said in an exasperated voice, "I'll just go out of my belly button" and pulled up her shirt. It really seemed so logical to her but I, once again, tried to explain why that wouldn't work. I hope she got it that time but I guess we'll see. This is just another topic that I'm adding to the "Please don't bring this up at preschool" list! :)

1 comment:

Aunt Deb said...

Don't worry, Preschool teachers have heard EVERYTHING! I'm pretty sure they are shock proof. They also do a good job of not giggling in front of you at conferences :-)