Thursday, January 27, 2011
Getting Older
I usually post about my kids getting older or growing up too fast, but today, I'm realizing that I am getting older right along with them. I realized this as I just made my daily pot of coffee. I pulled the coffee canister from my cupboard and noticed my very nice "white porcelain air-tight sealed coffee canister with matching scoop" shoved in the very back of that cupboard. It's a container that I purchased as I moved out on my own after my college years and always filled it with the "very best" (in my mind) coffee from my favorite coffee shop. It sat on my kitchen counter for years until sometime last year I declared that it took up too much space and shoved it in the back of that cupboard, to get dusty and be forgotten. What was I making coffee with today, you ask? Good ol' Folgers! I kind of laughed at myself as I realized that during those snobby coffee years (which, by the way, came from years of working AT said favorite coffee shop), I would have never purchased a container of the generic stuff, but would, instead, make the out-of-the-way stop to the coffee shop to get my favorite kind of java. Somewhere along the lines, I must have realized that the extra errand to the coffee shop was not worth carrying in two screaming kids with me, and perhaps I was out of coffee and just needed any kind to get me through a tiring day. Maybe I decided that I didn't need to pay $10 for a pound, when I could get a big tub of Folger's for $4.99 at my local grocery store. The silly thing is that all of these reasons are totally valid in my head, and they were something that I wouldn't even have considered five years ago. The same could be said for the generic hand soap in my bathroom that I just purchased "5 for $5" at the grocery store---instead of making my usual run up to my favorite soap store for the "yummy smelling all-natural foamy" kind that, yes, I would normally color-coordinate to my kitchen and bathrooms, respectively. I saw that "5 for $5" deal and said to myself, "Whew! I don't need to make an extra trip!" So, my questions to myself are: Is this me getting old? Is this just a sign that I am the mother of three kids and often exhausted? And, most importantly, will I ever have foamy soap in my house again?? I guess time will tell, but for now, I'm content to sit here and drink my Folger's as I please.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
FOLGERS!?!?!!? No way, Katie. That does not make you old, it's just WRONG!! :P
Post a Comment