Of course, with three kids, we're glad that we've been able to celebrate at all. We went out to dinner at a great restaurant last week (mentioned in previous post) and then got a fabulous opportunity to go out again last night, thanks to my in-laws. Earlier in the day, Chris and I exchanged gifts, with the help of two excited kiddos. Caleb helped pick my gift out, so he was extra psyched to watch me open the dozen red roses, alpaca slippers and copper jewelry. That might sound like kind of a funny gift if you know me, but I have to tell you that Chris takes the "meaning" of each anniversary year seriously! Year #7 is wool and copper, so that's what I got! (Although, the ladies at the alpaca store were adamant to Chris that alpaca was NOT the same as wool---haha!) Anyhoo, my gift to Chris was pretty lame this year, as I could not find anything copper for a guy that was cool and I also couldn't see Chris wearing a wool sweater. I got him new pillows for our bed and some other random clothing items, including a shirt that looks extremely good on him! I know....I'm lame and my kids don't hesitate to tell me on a daily basis! ;)
Last night, we had dinner at a fun restaurant near my in-law's house and were hoping to put the kids right to bed when we got home, however, our plan backfired on us when we let them all fall asleep in the car on the way UP to drop them off at Grandma and Grandpa's. Hannah ended up sleeping almost the whole time we were at dinner, so needless to say, she was wide awake for QUITE AWHILE when we got home. Caleb and Hannah had a "sleepover" in Hannah's room and we could hear them talking to each other for over an hour after we put them to bed. That didn't stop Chris and I from watching a great movie ("The Social Network") and enjoying a glass of our favorite wine in honor of our anniversary.
Today, for our actual anniversary, the two kids that stayed up so late woke up SO EARLY. They were awake and cranky right off the bat, but to ensure that I wasn't cranky (I'm sure), my husband let me sleep in a little while he corralled the little ones downstairs. Then I took Caleb to church (just he and I) since his preschool class was scheduled to sing during the church service. (It was really fun to watch!!) Caleb and I had to celebrate his great performance with some hot chocolate from Starbuck's, so we headed to our favorite grocery store that has a Starbuck's in it. While we were there, we stocked up on some extra special dinner fixings since Hannah's cold is keeping us from spending our regular Sunday dinner with our extended family. The rest of the day has been spent reorganizing the basement, playrooms, and kids' bedrooms as we shuffle big toy organizers to different rooms. Chris is once again working on parts of the basement while I try to catch up on some much-needed laundry. We've been laughing at how we've chosen to spend our anniversary this year: spreading the celebration out so much but also doing some mundane things that just need to be done. I had been asking lately if I am getting old or just lame (there's the L-word again), but I think I'm actually just getting more practical. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment