Sunday, June 26, 2011
The Ice Cream Man
Tonight, we were winding down from the weekend, getting the kids ready for bed and getting things in order for Monday morning. Caleb all of a sudden started walking around with some coins from his bedroom, talking about how he needed to go outside and get ice cream from the ice cream man. I wasn't paying too much attention to what he was saying, and I kept telling him that the ice cream man will come to our cul-de-sac "some time" but not right then. After all, it was 7:30pm on a Sunday evening! Caleb kept saying, "No, he's out there" and finally I couldn't take it. I looked outside to prove to him once and for all that the ice cream man was not there....but there he was. The ice cream man was parked two houses away from ours, talking with our neighbors as they were purchasing ice cream treats. Well, sheesh, I thought to myself. I told Caleb to hurry out there and stand by our driveway while I grabbed some cash. The happy ending to the story is that Caleb did, in fact, get the ice cream treat he was hoping for (his second one that evening, to tell you the truth). The embarrassing part of the story is that Hannah missed the whole conversation about the ice cream man because she was upstairs getting her PJs. As she was in the middle of putting her PJs on, she noticed Caleb and I standing by the ice cream truck. Not wanting to be forgotten, she stopped what she was doing and ran out of the house.....wearing nothing but a t-shirt and sneakers. I started shouting to her that I already got her a treat and she needed to go back inside, while all of our neighbors and the ice cream man (and his teenage daughter who was also in the truck) giggled at the situation. Finally, I successfully got Hannah inside to put her PJs on and ended up hearing a funny story from the ice cream man about a little boy who did the same thing last week. At least I'm not the only parent in this town chasing a naked child and I'm pretty sure the ice cream man won't be forgetting our neighborhood any time soon. (Maybe that means he'll make some extra stops here this summer!!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment