Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Drive-In

Last night, to celebrate Caleb's last game for tee ball, we did something we've never done before: we went to the drive-in! Those of you who know where I live are probably thinking that I'm crazy for having never been, especially since it's fairly close to our house. "Cars 2" was playing so we just HAD to go and check it out. We entered through the gates when they opened (about an hour and a half before the show started) and parked in a great spot. Chris set up a couple of chairs in front of our van. Hannah and Connor were already sound asleep (not surprising since it WAS their actual bedtime) so we thought they would sleep through the movie and we could sit and relax with Caleb. WRONG! Before the movie even started, Connor woke up not happy. We walked with him, we gave him a bottle and then, when the movie was starting, I thought for sure he was about to fall asleep. WRONG AGAIN! He was wide awake and not liking anything. Chris finally offered to hold him on one of the chairs outside (despite the mosquitos) which turned out to be great since Connor did eventually fall asleep (and slept for the rest of the night). Hannah woke up about 20 minutes into the movie and unfortunately for her, didn't know where she was or what was going on around her. She started crying pretty hard---like she was having a night-terror, which she might have been at first---and it took a little while to calm her down. I had to crawl into the back of our mini van (did I mention we got a mini van?), unbuckle her, change her clothes because she wet her pants while she was sleeping, and then cuddle with her while she calmed down. I explained where we were and how cool it was to watch a movie from our car (or from outside). After awhile, she perked up (I think the popcorn and candy helped) and she thought it was really fun to be at the drive-in. At some point during the craziness of kids waking up and kids falling asleep and kids crying, I thought to myself, "This was NOT a good idea....". But then, everything smoothed out and it turned out to be a fun experience in the end. Next time, we might not bring the baby, but I will tell you that Connor wasn't the only baby at the drive-in that night. Despite other crying babies, one car alarm that went off (and the owner didn't know how to turn it off) and playing "musical chairs" with my kids who couldn't decide if they wanted to sit in the passenger seat or outside with Daddy, it was a really fun evening. Needless to say, after all of us staying up until midnight last night, we're having a lazy and relaxing day at home today.....complete with lots of naps, I hope. :)

1 comment:

Aunt Deb said...

No, you didn't mention the mini van! Which vehicle did it replace? I think you were very brave to take 3 kids your kids ages to the drive in, BUT you tend to be more adventurous than me :-)