Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Wonderful Mother's Day Weekend

I hope all of you mothers out there had a super relaxing and wonderful Mother's Day this past Sunday.  I certainly did!  Actually, the whole weekend was a roller coaster of obstacles but I guess that's what makes life interesting, right?   I got a Mother's Day treat on Saturday when my in-laws' babysat ALL the cousins and I was able to have a lunch date with my sister-in-law and get my nails done.  Roll that in with getting to see my mom that afternoon and having Chinese take-out for dinner and it made for a pretty awesome Saturday.  (Which was good because the day started out pretty crappy.  Let's just say, spending 75 minutes in a dead stop on a major highway because of an accident ahead, with three whiny children who were starving and just wanted to talk about it---yea, I really needed some relaxation at that point!)  On Mother's Day, the way to my heart is by letting me sleep in undisturbed, so that's just what my hubby let me do on Sunday morning.  They woke me up to serve breakfast in bed and give me their Mother's Day surprises, but then I fell asleep again until 10:00am (unheard of!  I don't think I've slept that late since college!!)  In the afternoon, we all went to Mall of America for a few rides and some sushi at one of my favorite restaurants.

It all sounds pretty good, but I wanted to share one of the funniest things that happened this weekend.  Last week, Chris took the kids to Hallmark, where they each picked out a card and they also each picked out a bag of candy to give me.  Chris let the kids hide the cards and candy in their rooms until Mother's Day, which no doubt made them feel pretty special.  On Saturday, as we were getting ready to go up to my in-laws' house, I said something to Chris about not wanting to forget the Mother's Day cards.  The kids' ears perked up and they ran upstairs to get their loot.  When they came downstairs, all excited for me to open the cards and candy, we told them that they still had to wait another day and that they should go back upstairs to re-hide the goodies.  I asked Chris if he thought the kids might have opened the candy at some point and he said that he wasn't worried about it.  A few minutes later, they tromped back down the stairs and Chris noticed that Hannah had chocolate around her mouth.  When he questioned her, she told him that Caleb "made" her eat some of the Mother's Day candy and that he ate some, too!  Sure enough, they had been snitching the candy so Chris gave them a talking to about how it was supposed to be a gift for me, yada yada yada.  On Sunday, when they presented the candy to me, I set it on my nightstand and in my wonderfully sleepy state forgot that it was there. That is, until Caleb came downstairs later in the day with chocolate around his mouth again!  As it turns out, they couldn't bear the thought of the candy just sitting there without being eaten, so they took it back and re-hid it in their rooms for themselves.  They're stinkers, alright!  :)  I ended up having to crawl around their bedrooms to find all the wrappers hidden under their beds and dressers, but the chocolate situation has been diffused.  I do think that Chris should rethink letting the kids pick out Mother's Day candy next year, especially since there will be THREE kids who will be snitching it then!!

No comments: