Saturday, July 14, 2012

A Little Job

I have been having the urge to get out of the house lately so I've been keeping my eye out for the perfect part-time job.  I just want something a couple days a week, preferably in the evening so Chris can stay with the kids.  My aunt calls this "The stay-at-home summertime blues", which I completely understand, however, I wouldn't mind having a little job all year round.  I did get to have a little taste of working again recently when my friend asked if I wanted to volunteer with her and a few others at the annual Basilica Block Party in downtown Minneapolis.  This is a huge two-day outdoor concert that is sponsored by a local radio station and is essentially a big fundraiser for the Basilica.  Chris and I went nine years ago and it just so happened that the same band we saw then was playing again this year.  It also turned out that since we were working a "double shift" on the second day, we were allowed to get into the concert for free the first night, which was the night the band we wanted to see was going to be there.  So, a group of my local buddies and our spouses got together and made a date of it that Friday night.  We had a blast!  And, you know what?  On that Saturday, I sat in a little tent and sold food and beverage tickets for a good 7 hours---and I loved that, too!!  It was SO fun and I would totally do this again next year if I have the opportunity.  I not only got to chat with people all afternoon/evening (customer service = something I really enjoy), I also ran into several people that I hadn't seen in quite awhile.  There were about four or five times when some random person would say, "Hey, I know you---we went to high school together!" and I was like "Oh, that's right!" but I didn't actually know who they were.  I was flattered that they pointed it out and I ended up having some interesting conversations with a few of them.  My friends joked that I hopefully got the "working bug" out of me by selling tickets but I am really excited for what the future could hold.  I guess we'll see what happens!!  :)

No comments: