Monday, June 23, 2008

Happy Half-Birthday, Hannah!

You might be thinking to yourself "What is the big deal about a half-birthday?" Typically, I would say nothing. It's not like I throw a party for myself on December 8th every year. However, Hannah's birthday is only a couple days before Christmas. Everyone that I know of with birthdays around Christmas (you know who you are!) get forgotten in the rush of such a big holiday. While looking for answers on how to make sure this doesn't happen to my little sweetheart, a random cashier at the grocery store said that his parents celebrated his half-birthday since his real birthday was the day after Christmas. Good idea, I think! While we aren't throwing a huge bash or getting tons of gifts for her, it is at least a significant enough day for us to say "Happy Half-Birthday, Hannah!"

Here is a picture of Hannah on this day.


(She was looking at and smiling at her big brother in this one.)

At 6-months old, here are some of her new talents:

**Opening her mouth when a spoonful of rice cereal comes her way.
**Holding her own bottle when lying on her back.
**Being extremely grabby and trying to take control of everything that is in front of her.
**Talking for hours on end. (Chris, I really wish you wouldn't have passed on that annoying 'talking gene'...)
**Watching her brother intently and trying to figure out how the heck he runs around so fast. (The answer is: candy.)

These may not be huge milestones, but for a baby, each new little thing that they learn and do is so precious. I am also the dorky kind of mom who has to proclaim to the world everything that my kids do---hence, this blog. :)

Although this post is mostly about Hannah, Caleb is sitting next to me and wants to be posted about as well. His imagination is in full-swing today: he keeps making "food" with his legos. The poor kid...I think we should invest in a play kitchen with some fake food so he doesn't have to use his legos for everything. He will say that the legos are "cake" at one time, then an hour later it will be "pudding". An hour after that, when I ask for some "cake" or "pudding" he looks at me like I'm crazy and says "This isn't cake or pudding. It's hamburgers." I guess I can't keep up....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! She is so adorable! Happy Half Birthday Hannah! (I should make her a card!)

And yes....Chris really shouldn't have passed on that talking gene...If only Katie would talk MORE to make up for his chattiness! :)

*gEEns* said...

Happy Half Birthday Hannah!!

She is so dang cute, Katie! Give her a birthday snuggle for me! :)

Anonymous said...

What a dollface! I gotta believe you just kiss those cheeks all day long... :)

The Fritz Facts said...

Half birthday's are the best. My mom celebrates hers, in June. A girl I babysat for had a half birthday party every year, she was a Christmas baby. That way she could have a party outside in the warm weather.

CabinGarden said...

As someone interested in finding every reason possible to give Hannah more gifts, I think that having a half-birthday celebration is pure genius! I like it a lot and wish that I would have thought of it! I think cake and ice cream with balloons and decorations are definitely in order, though! (I’m on your side, Hannah!)

Carrie said...

I celebrate students' 1/2 birthdays in school - those who have summer b-days. . a friend of mine is big on 1/2 birthdays - she even makes 1/2 of a birthday CAKE to celebrate!!