Caleb has a fantastic imagination. I fear that he got it from me and that he will enjoy his imagination more than he will enjoy his friends at some point in elementary school, much like me, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. For now, Caleb can take anything and make it something else. For example, yesterday, he piled up all the blankets and said "Mom, wanna come in my castle?" Or he'll take his dolls (Diego and Dora dolls, of course) and say that they are his other brother and sister. In our house, legos are "food", train tracks are "lemonade", blankets are "mountains", and tote lids are "bridges". Weird stuff like that, but as a parent, it sure is fun to watch. Every day is something new, as I'm sure you are finding out with my postings. The other thing about kids this age is that they are so literal so often times when Chris or I try to help Caleb pretend or help create pretend situations, Caleb doesn't exactly respond in the way we thought he would. If we suggest that something is actually something fictional, Caleb usually corrects us right away by telling us what it really is. ("No, that's not a cake. It's a bunch of legos.")
Anyways, this morning, Caleb was searching for his beloved blue blanket. He asked me if I knew where it was and I said "I think I ate it for breakfast." He looked at me skeptically and said "No, you didn't. It's under all of these other blankets." I kept the charade going, "Nope, I know that I ate it. It's in my tummy."
Caleb: "No it's not, Mom! It's under these blankets. See?" (Starts pulling blankets off of the pile one by one.)
Me: "You're not going to find it in there. I ate it and it's in my tummy. It was so good! It tasted like blueberries!"
Caleb: "No, my blanket doesn't taste like blueberries! See? Here it is!" (Holds up blue blanket.)
Me: "What? I thought I ate it!"
Caleb: "No, the blanket isn't in your tummy. There's just a baby in your tummy!"
For the record, I am NOT pregnant, but apparently, because there was at one time a "baby in my tummy", my two-year old thinks that there will ALWAYS be a baby in my tummy. Good to know....
Thursday, June 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
HAHA! He's such a character! Just be sure if you do have another one that I don't hear about it on here first! I would be sad! :)
You know, I do remember your imaginary husband named "Hat", and an imaginary child named "Margaret". :)
Post a Comment