Thursday, June 26, 2008

To Weed or Not to Weed.....

Every year, Chris and I plant a little flower garden in the front of our house. Well....Chris often does the planting. It started with me being pregnant one year, then having to stay by the baby the next year and the year after that I was just really lazy....gardening is really turning into one of Chris' hobbies! :) Every year we plant a few colorful annuals, but try to also do maintenance to the perennials that we have, as well. We put in a gorgeous white hydrangea last year (that has yet to bloom this year), plus a lovely lilac bush and a really awesome hot pink rose bush. At the beginning of gardening season this year, Chris went out to prepare the garden for our new annuals. He came back in the house complaining about how deep the rose bush's roots were. Let's just say, he got quite a scolding for pulling out my gorgeous hot pink rose bush to make room for other plants. One thing that he didn't pull out, however, was a little green plant with spiky leaves ,which was in a weird place in our garden. We decided that it was either the weirdest weed we had ever seen or it was a real bush that we never remembered planting. We have waited for weeks and weeks and finally, we know what the heck that crazy plant is. It's an orange lily!!



I am so happy that we didn't pull it out before finding out what it is because it's absolutely beautiful! While I'm boring you with gardening pictures and stories, here is a picture of the blue hydrangea that we replaced the rose bush with. I guess I like it just as much, but nothing really beats a gorgeous hot pink rose. :)

1 comment:

The Fritz Facts said...

Did you replant the rose bush???

I love lilys!! So pretty and they bloom fabulously!