I guess all Chris and I can say about tonight is that we're still alive and there was no need to change anyone's underwear. Caleb arrived home in the same dry pair of pants that he left in, which was nice. We started out by going to a phone store, Carter's and Bath and Body Works. All was well, kids were good, Chris and I were both in happy moods. Then we went to Applebee's, where I had been warning Caleb that he would have to "try" to go potty. We were seated at our booth and I said "Ok, Caleb, let's go!" He said that he didn't want to. I said that we should, he said that he wouldn't...this went on for a minute. He started crying and started screaming and I pulled the "everyone can hear you so you better not scream" line. I ended up picking him up and he SCREAMED "I don't want to go potty!!!" People from surrounding tables were looking at us and I was looking around for the bathroom. Finally, Chris and a few other people from other tables all pointed me in the right direction. In the bathroom, Caleb and I had a good talk about why he needed to try and also how it would only be for a minute and then we could go back to the table and order some root beer for him. He said very plainly, "I just want to cry for a little bit." I assured him that he was allowed to cry, but he also needed to go potty. Luckily, no one else was in the bathroom or else they would have heard my son yell "I don't want you to pull down my pants!!!" as I tried to pull down his pants. Finally, he gave in and went potty and he was all proud of himself. I told him that everyone would clap for him when we got back to the table, so when we got back and only Chris and I clapped, he asked me to get EVERYONE to clap for him. Ummm....no, sorry. By "everyone", I meant, your family. :p
We then proceeded to Target which got Chris crabby because he is NOT a shopper and does NOT join me in loving plastic totes, which is something that I needed to purchase tonight. (Hehe...I LOVE plastic totes. They are so darn handy! I get this love of totes from my mother....) We made it through Target as fast as I was able to go and when I said "Now to the grocery store!" everyone but me moaned. (I swear, even Hannah said "Seriously?!?!") I ended up running into the store by myself, which was faster than us all going in, I suppose. When I returned to the truck, Hannah was screaming herself silly and Caleb was trying to yell over her to talk to Chris. Chris looked like he was about to jump out the window and walk home, but I convinced him to go to his "happy place" and try to tune out the baby's cries. We got home safe and sound and Caleb even decided to go potty by himself at that point. Unfortunately, because Chris and I were too occupied with other things at the time, Caleb stuffed a nice HUGE wad of toilet paper in the toilet, tried to flush it down, then came running out of the bathroom yelling "Uh, oh! Look what happened!!" The toilet was over-flowing so Chris and I had a nice mess to clean up. That was followed by two over-tired children who decided at that moment to throw huge fits over practically nothing. I can finally say that they are both soundly in their beds and Chris is definitely in his "happy place" (which is code for "playing World of Warcraft"). At least the night is almost over and I feel more confident taking Caleb out in public with his newly acquired potty-training abilities.
(For those of you who are counting, I did get 6 more pairs of undies for him at Carter's, so we are now up to 12 pairs of underwear.) :)
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Do you think it is wierd that we counted??? I think it is a mom thing.
You made me laugh outloud a couple of times with this post, Katie! Great story (and I moaned along with Chris regarding Target and the grocery store). Keep up the good work, Caleb!!
What a nice ending to a perfectly parent-testing day!
I'm not sure whether I laughed harder because of the entertaining way in which you told the tale or because the tale itself brought back so many memories of my own past parenting experiences...
You really should write a book!
Post a Comment