Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Master "Staller"

I'm sure we all went through the "I don't want to go to bed" phase. Not so much where you'd throw a fit when your parents told you that it's bedtime, but you'd find every excuse to get out of bed once you were there. Well, Chris has said that he did this for YEARS and let me tell you, if Caleb's stage lasts for years I will be a CRAZY LADY! (What? I'm already a crazy lady? Hmmmmm....) With Caleb's new-found abilities to go potty in the toilet, he has also created abilities to use every excuse in the book. Some of the excuses we have heard recently are:

"I have to go potty." A classic.
"I need some chocolate milk and regular milk mixed together in a cup and warmed up."
"My chocolate milk and regular milk mixed together in a cup is not warmed up enough."
"Where is my blue blanket?"
"Where is my red blanket?"
"Where is my animal blanket?"
"Where is Hannah's blanket that I think I should sleep with?"
"I think you and Daddy should go to bed."
"I want to watch a movie."
"I need a little snack.....like cookies."
"I need a little snack....like apples cut up with all the peel taken off."
"I need a little snack....like macaroni and cheese with a hot dog cut up in it."

Do you see where I'm going with all of this? Tonight, he actually said to me, "I can't go to bed because I'm having a problem with my pants." Turns out, he went potty by himself, went into his room and put on his pull-up by himself, then proceeded to put his PJ pants on, by himself. Unfortunately for him, he put both legs in the same leg-hole and got very stuck. Maybe that was a legitimate excuse not to go to sleep, but the rest are just nonsense! :p I felt really cold and yucky a little bit ago so I decided to take a shower. I got into the shower and just as I lathered up my hair, I hear the squeaking of my bathroom door. Then I hear little pitter-patter of feet walking on the tile. Then I hear "Mom! Are you in there?" Mind you, my shower door is practically clear. "Caleb, go to bed."
"Mom, guess what? Dad is talking to Grandma on the phone." That was it. That was all he had to tell me. No "I need this" or anything. I think we've passed "Excuse-Town" and are entering "Whatever-will-get-me-out-bed-Ville". I'm tempted to make a "pass" (much like a junior high school bathroom pass) where he can only get out of bed twice and then the "pass" gets taken away. Someone gave me this idea when Caleb was an infant and I thought "I'll cross that bridge when I get to it." I am currently crossing that bridge and taking the scenic-route to where ever my destination is...

2 comments:

CabinGarden said...

You are so cute!
Welcome to the "I've got a mind of my own and I'm going to use it to the fullest until I drive my parents crazy!" phase of raising children. This phase lasts for about 20 years...so, hang on - your ride is just creeping up the big roller-coaster hill before you get to the very fast and scary parts! LOL!!!! (The only piece of advice I can offer is that I can assure you that you WILL survive! And, one day you will be able to look back and laugh...and laugh and laugh...and laugh.)

The Fritz Facts said...

Boo still uses excuses, especially when she has school the next day. It got to the point this summer we told her to stay in bed, or her night light was going away. Tramatic to the girl that reads in bed.