Monday, September 22, 2008

A Very Sad Day

This is a very sad day in our household. The last of the three fish (if you remember "Attempt #2") has passed away. The other two passed away last week and I really thought this last little guy would make it. I even got Caleb to name him. Of course, he named him a name that cannot be pronounced by anyone who is not a three-year old so I can't even type the name here. (It's in "Caleb Language"---a non-English version of toddler-speak, used to get attention and perhaps a few laughs.) Anyhoo, we woke up this morning to find the poor fish floating at the bottom of the bowl. I decided to be blunt with Caleb so I said "I have some bad news, Honey. Your last fish is dead." He looked in the bowl and said, "But, Mom, he's only sleeping. We can wake him up!" I explained that he wouldn't be able to wake up and that he has "gone away". "But he's right there!" Caleb said. Okay, so I can't expect a three-year old to understand the concept of death---and not that I would really want him to right now, I guess. I did explain that when we flush the fish down the toilet, he goes to "fishy heaven", but even that didn't seem to make Caleb feel remorseful. He asked if we could go get more fish today and I think the answer to that question is "no". Perhaps we'll invest in a semi-indestructible Beta fish in the next couple of months, but for now, I'm pretty exhausted of scooping little goldfish out of the bowl and flushing them. :p

By the way, I found two decent pictures on my camera from the wedding last Saturday. Of course, they are of the kiddos. And, in case you are wondering, I did get lots of great pictures from the birthday party yesterday but none of Caleb. There were 18-month old twins there and they were so cute that I had to take about a million pictures of them for their mom. That was just fine with Caleb because he was too busy running around and playing with the other kids at the party to notice.


This is Hannah sitting in her car seat at the reception. We put her in a little corner so she could sleep if she wanted to, but as I might have mentioned earlier, she did not sleep at all. In this picture, she is looking at her Grandma. I thought this was a great picture of her two new front teeth. :)


This one is Caleb giving his cousin Kyla a big hug! He loves his cousins!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor Fishy! Too bad you can't tell how old they are when you pick them out. Maybe the three you got was really old. :)

And LOOK AT THOSE TEETH! How cute! She's getting so big so fast! Wow! :)