Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Night on the Town

Every now and then, Chris and I are blessed with a night out without the kids. Saturday night was one of those wonderful evenings. My mom took our kids for the night (Thanks, Mom!) and we headed downtown to check in to one of our favorite hotels. (We realized later that there are about three other hotels downtown that we can't wait to stay at but there will be other nights for those, hopefully!) Anyways, we always love to stay at this hotel and it's one of those places where we would never bring our kids. :) When we got into our room, we decided to settle in for a few minutes before heading over to a restaurant where we were going to meet some friends. When I walked into the bathroom, I noticed they had a phone in there. Just to be funny, I picked it up and dialed Chris' cell phone. He said "hello" and I made some funny comment about "There's a phone in the bathroom!" (like Joey on "Friends"). Well....that 7 second phone call ended up costing a dollar. I probably should have thought of that beforehand but it was worth it just to call him from the bathroom. :) We then headed out to one of our favorite sea food restaurants (McCormick and Schmick's) to meet 4 of our friends. I didn't realize that this place has little private rooms for parties of 6. It was really neat to be seated in one of these rooms---it made us feel like we were the only customers in the whole place! Dinner was fabulous and afterwards, Chris and I headed back to the hotel. Talk about getting old---we turned on the TV and both of us started yawning. Even on our special night's out, it's still hard for us to stay up past 10pm!! We did get to wake up in the morning without a 3-year old climbing into our bed, but I'm pretty sure that both Chris and I actually missed that part. That's the hard part about being away from your kids: you always want a night away, but it seems like the kids are all we can think about when we're apart from them! Does that change as they get older? Do let me know if you have an answer....

Sunday was very very relaxing. All of us (kids and dog included) took HUGE naps in the afternoon. We decided to not go to my in-law's for dinner just because we wanted to spend some down-time with the kids. The extra time was worth it: Caleb built many castles and roads with Daddy and I taught Hannah two new words--"Wa wa" (water) and "J'ce" (juice). :)

Funny Quote of the Day:
When Caleb crawled into my bed this morning after he woke up, we were talking about the dreams that we had last night. I told him that I had a scary dream and that I was glad to be awake so I could forget about it. Caleb said, "Don't worry, Mom. I came in here to wake you up so you could forget about your bad dream. And God is always with you to keep you safe." :)

2 comments:

Erin Lewis said...

I just typed a long response and my computer erased it! So I will just say that I think Caleb's comment about God taking care of you was so precious!

Anonymous said...

The answer to your question is YES - until they turn 18 and go away to college when you WANT to stop thinking about what they are doing...LOL!