Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Three Kings Day

Happy Three Kings Day! What is this holiday, you may ask? Well, I have no idea, but I'm assuming it has something to do with the three wise men. Your guess is as good as mine! Why am I wishing you a happy "Three Kings Day", you are now asking? We celebrated this unknown holiday this evening at our house! Here's the back-story: for weeks---literally, WEEKS---Caleb has been asking to make a "Three Kings Day crown". He would see commercials for a new TV episode called "Dora save Three Kings Day" where all of his favorite TV characters were wearing crowns.


He came up with the brilliant idea to make his own crown, but I kept shooting him down. (Mother-of-the-Year, I know....) I finally paid attention to one of those commercials the other day and realized that the television premiere of this episode was going to be tonight at 7pm. So, I gave in to Caleb's request. Yesterday, we went to a craft store and bought a big piece of yellow poster-board. I cut it into a "crown shape" and he decorated it with stickers and glitter glue. (I am getting braver by the day!) I then punched out shapes for the top and TA-DA: a Three Kings Day crown. He wore it as he watched the half-hour episode tonight and while making it was much more worth-while than wearing it, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Here is the "king" himself:


Yes, the crown is very tall. I'd say it's about twice the height of his head....


Since I took a picture of his Three Kings Day crown, he wanted me to take a picture of his New Year hat that he made at preschool today.


He's so proud of it, but he pushes it down so he looks like he's mad all the time...

2 comments:

CoolMommy said...

At Church Sunday everything was about the 3 kings....the readings, the songs....the children's message, and they got little straw star ornaments. I have not been clued in to this before now either, but maybe there is something to it!!!

Erin Lewis said...

That is just way too cute! I think this holiday represents the actual day in the liturgical calendar in which the three kings actually made it to Jesus. Don't quote me on this and definitely confirm it with Grandma Scovill!