Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What a Brave Boy!

Pediatricians are pretty high on my list of "necessary professions". I have now added "pediatric dentists" to that list as well. I swear, the pediatric dentist that we recently started bringing Caleb to works magic!! Today, Caleb had to go to the dentist to get a cavity filled. The cavity was in between his two front teeth and it wasn't very big so we assumed that it would be an smooth experience for Caleb. "Smooth" meaning we'd have to do some coaxing to get him to sit in the chair not to mention some hand-holding when it came time to do the actual dental work. I was prepping Caleb as best I could, telling him that it was going to be "so much fun!" and that he could bring his special blanket (Big Blue) with in case he got nervous. Let's just say, I was the one holding the blanket the entire time. Caleb was a ROCK STAR! The experience was MORE than smooth--it was actually enjoyable. My mom met us at the dentist to play with Hannah in the waiting room while Caleb was having his work done (thank goodness, since Hannah is such a squirmy little stinker these days). I sat in the room with Caleb and basically watched in awe as he had his dental work done. He climbed right up into the big chair and put his sunglasses on so he looked like a stud. They put a "monkey nose" on him---which was bubble gum flavored gas. They used that instead of any Novocaine which worked wonders. Caleb loved it and actually laughed out loud the whole time the dentist used the "tooth tickler" (aka the sander/polisher). Both the dentist and his assistant looked towards me a couple of times with amusement on their faces and they both noted how easy-going Caleb was during the procedure. My favorite part of the whole thing was watching the gas really start to affect Caleb towards the end. He had been laying still and flat for the entire time but then started lifting his leg up and moving his arm around---kind of like he was swimming. The hygienist looked at me like "This is interesting..." and I shrugged like "Don't look at me. He must get it from his father." (Kidding!) Anyways, Caleb has regained his pearly whites and he can't wait to go to the dentist again in 6 months. I have one word for all of this: WHEW!!

1 comment:

Erin Lewis said...

Oh man I hope I can find one that good down here! In fact, I hate the dentist so much that if I do find one I might make him work on me too!