Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Who's Child Is This?!

It's official, Hannah has her own opinion and when she wants something really badly, she'll try anything to get it! Today, just 3 days short of turning 17 months old, my darling, precious and adorable daughter had her first-ever temper tantrum. Yes, you read that correctly. And I hate to say that it was partly my fault. Caleb was at preschool, so Hannah and I had lunch with my parents and then ran a bunch of errands. I was pushing back her nap time and hoping that she would fall asleep in the car (as she normally does) but she didn't. Finally, we went back to Caleb's preschool to pick him up, but we were about 30 minutes early. I decided to let Hannah run around in the grass for awhile, assuming that she'd be super tired after that exercise. We decided to walk on the grass around the preschool, but when we got behind the building, I realized it was all long grass that I didn't want Hannah to play in. She took one look at the long grass and ran straight for it. I caught her and tried to gently guide her back the way we came, but she was not having it! I ended up picking her up--she was kicking and screaming at the top of her lungs--and basically wrestled with her back to our truck in the front of the building. She was screaming and crying embarrassingly loud and she even grabbed my face with her finger nails ON PURPOSE to get me to put her down. I finally got her buckled back in her car seat and let her cry it out for a few minutes. Once she was done, it was obvious that she had reached her limit of being awake. I just had to call Chris and tell him the memorable news: Hannah just had such a big tantrum that I had to ask myself, "who's child IS this?"! I think we're seeing a little preview of the classic "terrible two's". I just hope we don't see more of this behavior any time soon!!
(Luckily, I wasn't able to stay frustrated with her for long: once she was finished crying, I handed her her cup of milk to sooth her a little. Without missing a beat, she said "tee-too" in the cutest little sobby voice. I guess even when she's super-mad at me, she doesn't forget her manners!) :)

No comments: