Monday, July 27, 2009

A Crappy Day

On Sunday, I was a BIG CRAB. I was out late the night before (which is NOT a typical thing that I do) but Chris nicely encouraged me to get out of bed when Caleb woke up at 7:30am. How perky can you really be with 4 hours of sleep and no caffeine in your system? I was edging on being out-wardly grumpy but was trying to keep all of my frustrations to myself. You know how when you're crabby, every slightly bad thing that happens seems to be magnified? This was exactly what was happening with me. Anyways, back to the day. Right before lunch time, Caleb had been drinking a glass of lemonade and left it on the kitchen table. Not a problem....unless his little sister somehow gets ahold of it. This is exactly what happened. She reached up, grabbed the glass, and walked all over the kitchen, spilling lemonade as she went. A whole cup of lemonade spilled ALL OVER my kitchen floor and the kitchen chairs. I was fuming on the inside. I ordered everyone to leave the kitchen, so Chris, taking the hint, took the kids into the playroom. I cleaned up the lemonade and went into the playroom to tell Chris something, only to find RED juice spilled on the carpet in that room. What the heck?! Once again, I was fuming on the inside. It was half an hour until Hannah's nap time, so I cleaned up the red juice (never ever will my children drink red juice on the carpet again, I tell you) and I told Chris that I needed to go take a nap and that he could put Hannah to bed in 30 minutes. 30 minutes went by and I heard him put Hannah in her bed. Another 30 minutes went by and I heard Hannah still talking in her room. I waited just a little bit longer before I realized that Hannah might have a wet diaper and I should probably change it so she could sleep. I called down to Chris and asked if he changed Hannah's diaper. Yes, he did. I asked if he put a onesie or some pants on her so she wouldn't take her diaper off. No, he didn't. Both him and I RAN into her bedroom to find a naked Hannah, an empty diaper and POOP all over her floor, bed, sheets....and her. OH MY GOSH!! I made Chris take Hannah to the tub immediately while I figured out how to sanitize her entire bed. Smeared poop on her crib. BLEACH! Sheets in the washer. BLEACH! Seriously....these are one of those situations that people don't tell you about before you have kids. "Kids are so adorable! You'll never love anyone more than your child! You'll have to clean up smeared poopy when your child uses it as finger paint in her bed!" Yea, it's not really a great selling-point for parenthood. Anyhoo, Hannah, bed and sheets sanitized, we realized that we couldn't put her down for a nap yet since her mattress pad wasn't dry yet. We also had plans to go on a horse-and-carriage ride in Minneapolis after her nap, but with the situation (and my crabby mood that was even worse than before), we thought it would be best to stay home instead.

What a Sunday! The happy ending is that everything is washable and Hannah's bed has never been cleaner, I don't think. And I was able to go to bed early that night and catch up on all of my sleep. Praise the Lord for 8:00 bedtimes!

3 comments:

andi said...

Now that someone HAS told me about the horror stories, I might just have to rethink this whole kid thing! HA! :)

Anonymous said...

She must take after Kyla, I'm sure I've told you her poop stories!!

Erin Lewis said...

This is absolutely hilarious and frightening all at the same time. Kevin and I had to deal with a two person explosion this morning - so I really can't even imagine one of those with no diaper on! AHHH!