I am SO EXHAUSTED! (I just had to get that out there.) Once again, I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance to let you know what's going on in our house. For the past couple of days, I have been busy setting up a garage sale in my garage. First off, you need to know that I have been wanting to host my own garage sale for so long. About 5 years to be exact. My husband, however, is not a fan of hosting garage sales, and basically veto-ed my desire to have a sale. (So, I've been convincing my mother to host the sales for the past couple of years.) Anyways, the short version of the story is that Chris and I compromised: we could have a garage sale if all the profits go to charity, which I thought was AWESOME. I picked our local food shelf to be the recipient of the proceeds and I'm so glad that I did! We let the "customers" pick their own prices and just asked that they be fair. It's interesting to see how people react to this. Some people say "Oh, great!" and pay 50 cents for a bunch of stuff. Others give more money than they normally would because the money is going to a good cause. One lady even asked if she could give $10 without taking any garage sale items in return. It was awesome! By the afternoon, we had sold over half of our stuff (even most of the bigger items) and both my mom and I were exhausted. (Big shout-out to my sister-in-law, Stef. She came over and spent most of the day with Caleb and Hannah in the house, so needless to say, she was just as exhausted as we were by the afternoon!!) At one point around 2:00pm, Stef was still inside with the kiddos and my mom ran back to her house to get more stuff to sell, so I was alone in the garage. There was no one in the garage when a lady drove up and was shopping around. She asked about the price of something so I explained that she could pick what price she thought was fair and that all the profits were going to the local food shelf. She looked at me, all surprised, and said, "No way!! Do you know what I am the director of? The local food shelf!!" Just by chance, the director of the specific food shelf that we plan to donate to came to my house to shop. She was VERY thankful for what we were doing and it made it so worth it to see how grateful and excited she was about our sale. What a blessed coincidence!!
So, tomorrow is Day 2 of the sale and I'm scouring the house to see what else I can stick out there to sell. How refreshing it is to get rid of things we aren't using anymore and even more refreshing to know that we're doing something to help the community.
That doesn't change the fact that I am exhausted. Is 7:20pm too early to go to bed??? :)
Friday, July 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What a great idea!!! It saves you marking everything and you donate to a great cause!
Post a Comment