Thursday, June 24, 2010

Buffalo Bay 2010

This past weekend, we headed up north for a weekend of fishing. We have made it an annual trip (for the most part), and love to go north of the Minnesota border to a Canadian resort on Lake of the Woods called "Buffalo Bay". This year, we went with Chris' parents, one of his brothers, and his brother's family. We had tornado-threatening weather when we first got there on Thursday evening, and then had to endure a rainy day on Friday. However, Saturday was the gem of all days: sunny and perfect fishing weather!! We loaded up on our two boats (we all can't fit on one anymore) and I think all of us (except for Hannah) caught at least one fish. Sarah was the rock star of the trip since she caught the biggest fish of all of us: a 4.5 pound walleye!! Congrats, Sarah!!

Some of our favorite things about Buffalo Bay are.....

THE DEER


The deer at this resort are so used to seeing people that they will LITERALLY come up to you and eat out of your hands. Sarah had the pleasure of feeding this deer some graham cracker and she (the deer) even came back the next day looking for more!! It's so cool to have deer just a couple feet away, not afraid of you or wanting to run off so quickly.

BONFIRE/S'MORES


Hannah tried her first s'mores on this trip and a major highlight for Caleb was roasting marshmallows. I'm glad the bugs weren't so bad this year so we could have a bonfire two nights in a row! Yay!

THE ROCKS




Our cabin bordered right up against the water, and there were tons of big rocks in between. The kids had a fabulous time crawling all over the rocks, throwing rocks and pieces of wood into the lake, and finding neat treasures out there, too!

THE BOAT



(In the above picture of Hannah and I, Hannah is actually taking a nap as we drove out to our favorite fishing spot.)
Since we jointly purchased our boat "Big Red" last year, our family (Chris' brothers and parents included) now have two boats to enjoy on the lakes this summer. This comes in handy since our families are ever-growing!! Big Red has a cuddy cabin which is where Caleb likes to spend most of his time when boating. Of course, we now know that there are essential things to remember before embarking on an afternoon on the boat: lots of bait, lots of snacks and lots of great music!! :)

And finally.....THE FISHING!!!


As I mentioned, we all caught fish this weekend, which was so fun!! Mostly walleye, which was what we were trying to catch, however, I had to be the difficult one and catch everything BUT a walleye. In the above picture, Chris is holding up the Northern that I caught. I also caught a Carp, two little Soggers, and a CLAM of all things. How weird!! Caleb was so excited to catch a cute little walleye. I think having that great fishing day has gotten ALL of us excited to get out on the boat again and catch some more fish very soon!! (Be careful, Chris, I might even bait my own hook and touch the fish I catch next time!!) :)

No comments: