Friday, August 27, 2010

State Fair 2010

We made it to the State Fair this year on the day that it opened. We had been planning to go on that day for weeks but, as it always turns out, the rest of the state wanted to be there on the same day!! The weatherman that morning pronounced Thursday "the perfect day to spend at the fair" which I wasn't too happy about. Couldn't he just keep it a little secret so it wouldn't be too busy for us?? I guess not...

We got there in the late morning and the first thing we did was dive into some Fair Food. I should also mention at this point that this is the last year that Caleb gets in free (he's one week shy of needing to buy a ticket) but also, both kids are more vocal about which foods they want to try and which games they want to ride. So, it was kind of funny for me to walk up to a pronto pup stand and ask for FOUR, yes, FOUR pronto pups. We hit the cheese curd stand after that as we made our way to where my in-laws and nieces were waiting for us. (Funny side note: as I was standing in line for the cheese curds, Senator Al Franken walked by and admired the kids who were comfy in their wagon at the time. Chris took that opportunity to say 'hello' to him---pretty neat!) It was EXTRA fun to hang out with Grandma and Grandpa and Paige and Kyla because they already had a plan of where to go. This plan involved not only more yummy food, but also BABY DUCKS!! Caleb is absolutely obsessed with wanting baby ducks as pets. He literally asks when we can get some at least twice a day, so to actually hold a baby duck in his hand was pure bliss for him. It was fun to see the "awe" and wonder in his face as he held that adorable little fuzzy duck. Here's a really poor-quality picture of Caleb and Hannah and the duckling:


(My camera wouldn't adjust to the lighting in that room, so all of my pictures from there are pretty crappy. Boo.)

By this point of the day, I think we were already getting a little tired of walking and tired of the crowds, which were huge. Chris and the kids rode on the Space Tower for the first time ever and they really liked it. We hit the corn stand and I also got my precious Salt Water Taffy that I *need* to get every year. (It's for the baby, after all....) After that, we decided to swing by Kid Way (the kid-version of the Midway with all the rides). The kids had a great time riding rides with their cousins but after about an hour of that, we were all getting sick of the sun and heat and were about ready to go home. We ended up riding two more rides after my in-laws left the fair...



...and as we left, Caleb barely even noticed that we didn't go on the Big Yellow Slide this year or checked out many of the other attractions we normally try to go to. That said, all of us pretty much feel like we did enough at the fair this year to hold us over until 2011. Hannah did mention as we walked to the car, "Oops!! We have to go back because I forgot to buy a balloon!" I told her that she could get a balloon next year since we had already left the front gates and were almost to our car. I had better remember that I told her that since she'll surprise me next year by remembering my promise!! :)

A couple ironic things that happened when got to the parking lot: Caleb spilled Sprite ALL OVER himself and the wagon, which means it was also on his sister and whatever else was in the wagon at the time. It was a horrible sticky mess, but the best part about it was that it happened as we were leaving. I have awful memories from last year of my daughter basically pouring a red slushy all over herself and the stroller when we were about an hour into our fair experience, so I'm thrilled that "the spill of 2010" occurred at the end of our visit. The second ironic thing is what my kids said as we were driving out of the parking lot: "I'M HUNGRY!!!" *sigh* Is there anyone else in the world that has made a stop at Dairy Queen right after they spent the day at the State Fair?? Chris and I decided that it was worth it since we didn't want to walk all the way to the dairy building at the fair for malts this year. (Not to mention all the calories we saved by by-passing the mini donuts booth!!) Anyway, it was a fabulous trip to the fair and now that it's over for us, I am officially declaring it FALL, thank you very much!! ;)

No comments: