Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Growing Up....

Today is a bittersweet day for me as a mommy. Today is the first time that Caleb is going to ride home from school with a friend for a play date. In fact, it's the first time he's had a play date with a friend from school, since most of the kids he goes to preschool with live in the town north of us. He's connected with friends from school, but we just haven't pursued a friendship outside of the classroom yet. Finally, at the age of five, one of Caleb's friends from school invited him over to play. His mom suggested she drive Caleb and her son back to their house after school and then drop him off when she picks up her older son from school a couple hours later. That actually seemed like a great plan because her older son goes to a Spanish immersion school located five minutes from our house. Caleb was a little nervous when we talked about how I wouldn't be there to pick him up, but by today, he was so excited that he didn't care about that anymore. I, however, am a wreck on the inside!! I have all the necessary phone numbers and the address of where he'll be playing, but a little part of me is going to be on the edge of my seat until my "little man" arrives safely on our doorstep. When did Caleb grow up and get to be old enough for dates like this? I know I should just get used to it since this is the first of about a million times I'll be sentimental about Caleb growing up!!

3 comments:

Deb said...

As the mom of a "big boy" who drives himself to work after school, I can only tell you that for me, that "feeling" still remains. But we keep it in our hearts so our little boys can grow up to be the really great men we are striving to raise! I bet all the really great men in the world had moms who felt about them the way we do ours. You know you've done your job when someday he is big enough to say "hey mom, I've got your back".

Anonymous said...

I loved reading your new 2 blogs!! the pictures are great! Zoe has not had a playdate from school yet but she does want to have a bday party with kids from school which frightens me a little lol

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling! Abby was invited to a birthday party and didn't need me there. I left and picked her up few hours later. She didn't miss me one bit! But I did miss her... ;-)