Thursday, April 14, 2011

Whew!!

Well, I am relieved!! Yesterday, we had Connor's 4-month well check-up and it was all great. Not that I was worried about his health, mind you, since he's been a pretty healthy boy so far. I was mostly worried that the doctor was going to get after me about Connor's weight. He's not a very chubby baby but, as I like to say, he's made out of bricks! I weighed him on our scale the other week (with me standing alone, then me holding him) and it told me that he was 20 pounds!! Whoa!! I totally believed it. Wouldn't you know, the scale at the doctor's office read 17 lbs 6 oz. WHEW!! The doctor came into the room and said, "What a big boy!" I said, "I thought he was bigger!" :)

The other reason I am relieved is that I thought we were going to have to switch clinics, which is something I don't want to do since we love our clinic and our pediatrician. At the end of March, I got a phone call from our pediatrician's office confirming Connor's appointment for the next day. That would have been find and dandy except that Connor didn't have an appointment scheduled for the next day. I explained this to the lady on the phone but she was adamant: my son (she confirmed his name AND his birth date) had a pre-op appointment the next day and surgery the week after. Ummm....no. "Sorry," I told the lady. "You have the wrong child." She was VERY confused and once again confirmed his name and birth date. I was confused as well, and all of a sudden got concerned that there was ANOTHER baby at the same clinic with the same name and the same birthday. As crazy as it sounds, why else would they get everything so mixed up?? After all, there were two or three other families with the same last name (and same spelling of our last name) in the hospital having babies the same day that we were. The nurses joked with us about it and I even got the wrong person's medication right before being discharged. This seemed totally plausible to me. So, for the past two weeks, I've been worrying about it. Fast-forward to our appointment yesterday when I talked to our pediatrician about the situation. He got a very concerned look on his face and said, "Can you give me two seconds?" He left the exam room and came back a few minutes later with a chuckle. Turns out, one of the doctor's teenage daughters was the one making the confirmation calls that week. She had somehow gotten Connor's information mixed with another child NOT named Connor. He assured me that there is NOT another child at that clinic with Connor's same name or same birthday. WHEW! I knew it was unlikely but I am so glad to know for sure. That's a load off my mind!!

So, the long and the short of it is that my little (big?) guy is doing great. He's right on par with all that he should be. Daddy is getting excited to feed Connor rice cereal, which the doctor said that he could try. I convinced Daddy to wait until next week (after Easter), so I'll post some messy-face pictures then.

No comments: