Monday, May 9, 2011

Happy Mother's Day???

On Friday, Hannah woke up complaining of a tummy ache. Using typical "mother logic", I told her that it was because she was hungry for breakfast. We left for school awhile later with her still complaining about it. Her teachers didn't seem worried so I just said that if they felt the need, they could call me to pick her up early. A few hours went by with no phone call, so I thought everything was fine. Finally, around 11am, Hannah's teacher called and said, "Do you want to pick her up? We're playing outside and she's just laying on the sidewalk." Hmmm....doesn't sound like Hannah, so I picked her up. Good thing because she ended up throwing up a couple hours later (at home, thank goodness) and again around midnight in her bed. (Both times after we tried to give her a little bit of ginger ale.) She woke up on Saturday with a little fever but no tummy ache and no throwing up so we thought, "It's done!" She was so fine all day that we even still had my mom and brother come over to babysit the kids while Chris and I went out on Saturday night for a friend's birthday.

Fast forward to Mother's Day morning. Chris woke up extra early and made his first omelet for me. He was even silly enough to pull out the leaf of our kitchen table to use as a bed tray (instead of using the actual bed tray) so it was quite a surprise and very funny when he and Caleb came in with breakfast for me. I knew something was up when Hannah (who had crawled into our bed in the middle of the night) wanted to stay sleeping until 9am, and said that she didn't want any eggs (which never happens since she loves eggs). I also knew something weird was going on when I could only eat two bites of the omelet and NO COFFEE because my stomach was starting to hurt. Weird, huh? Turns out, I had just what Hannah was trying to get over (and she was in the middle of round #2). I spent my Mother's Day laying around the house because I couldn't move due to a horrible stomach ache. Hannah did the same and even threw up two more times (red Gatorade on the white carpet. Grrrrrrrreat.). I went to bed at 5:30pm feeling horrible but woke up at 5:30am feeling a million times better. Crackers and ginger ale in my stomach, I happily went back to bed feeling like it was all over. This morning, Hannah woke up extra perky and feeling great, I was feeling about 75% better, and Chris had already left for work. I mentioned to Caleb that he was going to be late for school today (because we all slept in) and he said, "Oh, is it because of my stomach ache??" NNNOOOO!!! Now, he is sick (another child throwing up---on the STAIRS this time. Excellent.) and I have gone downhill since waking up. (I feel like I have the real flu now with my body being all achy.) Chris just called and said that he had a tinge of a stomach ache and I told him to come home right away because he's getting "it", too. Our family doesn't get sick very often but when we do, it's a doozy I guess!!

I hope that everyone had a much better and healthier Mother's Day than I did!! I also hope you all have as wonderful a spouse as I do, who can take over when you're out for the count....

No comments: