Friday, September 9, 2011

Falling Into a Routine

Hello, my name is Katie. Remember me? I'm ba-ack!! Well, I really never left but with school starting and summer winding down, life (once again) got pretty busy for awhile. Let's see what we've been up to....

* A certain big guy had a birthday!



Caleb had a great birthday. Wait, let's change that to "birthday week". First, about six days before his actual birthday, he had a "friend" birthday party at a favorite kid place. That afternoon, he had his "family" birthday party at our house with all of his cousins. Two cakes in one day---what a lucky boy!! All eyes were on him and he loved it!! Later that week, the day before his actual birthday, we met one of his best friends for lunch because we don't get to see that friend often. Of course we went to a local Mexican restaurant that sings to people on their birthdays and of course I had them sing! He got a sombraro to take home and was a little horrified when the waitstaff came out clapping and singing, but the fried ice cream was definitely worth it. The next day (his actual birthday), we met friends at Mall of America and had dinner at Rainforest Cafe (a favorite of ours). They, too, sing to people when it's their birthday and bring out a little dish of ice cream with a sparkler in it. We opted for the larger dessert option.....


Talk about a celebration!! (And a chocolate coma afterwards!)

* Another "big guy" turned 9 months!


This guy is all go-go-go!! He is pulling up on EVERYTHING and, while he still prefers to army crawl because he's fast at it, he just started crawling on all fours today. If we don't keep our eye on him, he'll crawl right up the stairs or into the playroom (which is full of "big kid" toys right now). His third and fourth teeth (the top two) just came through and, boy, am I glad because he was one crabby baby while those teeth were bugging him! I really can't blame him, but I'm certainly glad to have my smiley, happy guy back! It's the highlight of my morning to walk into his room and see that little sunny face smiling at me as he stands in his crib waiting to be held. What a peach! We're also noticing his sense of humor these days as he does funny stuff on purpose, like push his little face between the slats on his crib to make his nose stick out, knowing that I'll play along and touch my nose to his. I know, kind of a funny mental picture for you, but believe me, it's just adorable!!

* Our Fall Routine

Get it? "Falling Into a Routine"?? We just finish our first week (well.....it was only two days of a routine really) and next week, it will REALLY feel like fall around here! My "baby" started kindergarten and there were only a few tears....from me!


He had his kindergarten assessment on Tuesday, where he spent some time showing his teacher how he can read, etc. She was quite impressed. I should also mention here that I've known his teacher personally (through our MOMS Club) for years so knowing that has helped Caleb relax and open up more when she asked him questions. She was impressed with his current math and reading skills so I hope we can keep that up! On Wednesday, Caleb started piano lessons with another of my MOMS Club friends, and he's sharing the 30 minute lesson with one of his friends who is on the same level as he is, piano-wise. Thursday was the first actual day of school and Caleb rode the bus to and from. He was only gone for three hours but both Hannah and I were anxious for him to get home and tell us all about it. Hannah felt the need to sit in Caleb's spot in the car when we ran some errands during school time and on Friday, sang a nice little "I love you Caleb" song as we were waiting for him to come home on the bus. It's been a little hard for Hannah to know where her place is these days since Caleb just got a lot of attention for his birthday (Hannah asked, "But when is MY special day??? I'm supposed to get presents on Caleb's birthday, too, you know!") and since she's not taking preschool this year, she needed some activity to call her own. That said, we enrolled her in a year-long dance class which she just loves. She'll also be taking swimming lessons (starting next week) but Caleb will be taking a class at the same time as well. Needless to say, our schedule is filling up but it's a relaxing kind of full. It's nice to be in a routine again and to have a full calendar. This past week, I've also really been relishing in the fact that since I'm a stay-at-home mom, our entire schedule revolves around my oldest child going to kindergarten. I plan to basically be home every morning all year for him. If we venture out of the house while he's at school, we'll just be sticking around our town and not going far. The stinky part is that I have to wake both of my younger two up in the morning so all of us can bring Caleb to the bus stop (since you can't see it from our house), but they can come to the bus stop in their jammies and we can relax again once Caleb is on the bus and we are back home with our breakfast and cartoons. It's a seriously awesome schedule and now that we've got it going, we just need some real fall weather to go with it!!! :)

Okay, so I've gabbed enough for one evening. Happy September!

No comments: