Monday, March 19, 2012

A Big Boy

It's no secret that Connor is a big baby. He was 8 lbs 8 oz when he was born and took off from there! The fact that he walked later than Caleb did (Caleb = 9 months, Connor = 12 months) and the fact that Connor started walking in December and not a nice warm month probably made an impact on that. (He's also a good eater, which is always a factor!) However big he is, the doctor has never once said that he's too big or that I need to feel him less. He keeps telling me that Connor's weight and height-growth have been very consistent since he was born, which is a great thing. I'm sure his weight-gain will start slowing down now that he's running so much (outside, finally!) and because he is as busy as he is. We had his 15-month check up last week and I thought for sure we would find out that Connor is 30 pounds. Nope! He's "only" 28 lbs 12 oz, which is, of course, in the 90-95th percentile. He's still a big guy but he's healthy and active, which is all that matters. I'm so glad to have a pediatrician that doesn't grill me about Connor's eating habits and trusts that I know what I'm doing most of the time. We love our pediatrician, which makes all the difference, I think!

Now that the weather is so beautiful and warm, the kids love to play outside with the other neighbor kids. Surprisingly, they have also been begging for Connor to come out and play with them, too. There are a few conditions I have for letting Connor run in the yard and they are as follows:

1. If the yard is dry enough.
2. If the doggy doo-doo is picked up.
3. If Connor has good shoes on---not his little slipper-type shoes that he normally wears.

On the first warm, sunny day last week, all of these conditions presented to be problematic. First, the yard was NOT dry. It was kind of muddy, which wasn't a problem unless Connor wanted to crawl around in the grass....which he did. Secondly, I did not have time to clean up the doggy doo-doo in the yard that day and wouldn't that have been a disgusting mess if Connor fell into some of it?? I cringe at the though. Lastly, Connor's little feet are so chubby that the only shoes I could successfully get on his feet were some Robeeze (slipper-ish shoes) that he's been wearing since before Christmas. They still fit fine, and I've been trying shoes on him at every local store that has baby shoes, but I couldn't get any to stay on his feet. Finally, at Target, we saw some Converse sneakers and sure enough, they fit just perfectly. Of course, I had to let Connor "practice" walking in them around the house for awhile because they were the first real sneakers he has ever worn. Once he got the hang of it, I let him go outside with the big kids for awhile. Until he got his jeans all muddy, that is. :)

Taking his new shoes for a test drive:


Enjoying the sunshine and the baby swing:



Luckily, it's been so warm that the yard did finally dry up and I did have time to "clean up" the yard, too. The kids just finished their Spring Break, and let me tell you that it felt more like SUMMER break with the sunshine, the neighborhood kids running around and even having to put sunscreen on. It has been the craziest March EVER!!

No comments: